Monday, April 28, 2008

The terrible NOs

My daughter has hit her terrible no stage. I think some people refer to this as the terrible twos, but really, it is the terrible-nos.

"Honey, would you like to wear your flower shirt?"
"No!"
"Ok, would you to wear the green pants?"
"No!"
"Would you like to wear your play shoes so you can play outside today?"
"NO!"
"Should Momma put you in your plain shirt?"
"No!" *sob* "I-want-the-flower-shirt!"

All of our conversations seem to go this direction, she says no and then when I offer to do an alternative, she says no she wants the original. Getting dressed in the morning is a major chore. Brushing her teeth is a major chore. There isn't anything that takes less than a 10 minute "NO!" discussion.

We have the emphatic, "NO!" The sad, "no-o," ending with a sob. The short and sweet, "no," sometimes ending with a smile, sometimes ending with a pout. I never realized the range of emotions and the coverage of topics that were possible with a single 2-letter word.

1 comment:

Deirdre said...

Been there, done that, LOL. She's so dang cute though, I think she can get away with a few "NO's". :)