Thursday, December 11, 2008

So Gross

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the imitation syrup no longer requires refrigeration? This grosses me out to no end! What have they added, what gives it a shelf life longer than most people will keep a bottle of syrup?

I spent 10-15 minutes reading labels at the store, trying to find one bottle of syrup that was brown sugar and water, the stuff we grew up on. But, instead, they all have long lists of ingredients I cannot pronounce. Can this stuff really be good for you?

It grosses me out enough that I started buying the real maple syrup for the kids. Big N and Little N are not very appreciative of the real stuff. They have no idea that their grandfather would hide his little bottle of real syrup in the back of the fridge so his kids wouldn't use it. Perhaps he knew we would appreciate it as much as Little N and Big N's expressions indicate it is not their favorite. They even like to tell me, it is not their favorite (exact words).

In my adult house, the fake stuff is hidden in the back of the fridge, by Pete, and he growls at me if I suggest that we stop buying the chemical stuff.

No comments: